March 11

The dive scrape (student mentor piece)

Thanks for reading so far! It makes me excited that a few people have reached out with comments and encouraging cheers of “love reading your pieces each day!” And yes, it still counts if one of them is my dad. For the next few days, I’m going to try something different– and focus more on writing for my work with students. These stories are also real small moments from my life, but you’ll notice that the voice, sentence structure, and length will vary from most of the writing I’ve done so far, since the intended audience (at least, in the long run) will be different.

One writing workshop adjustment I tried to make last year was purposefully “layering” a mentor piece, using different, pre-written versions of the same piece for several days, showing students how a piece should change over time as we learn new writing moves. This is in contrast with an emphasis only on the quantity of models students are exposed to. It gives students an opportunity to notice concrete changes in a piece– and how a piece sounds with AND without a writing move.

The Dive Scrape
use for– storytelling using bit-by-bit action

I grabbed my towel and marched toward the screen door. I told my mom that I was going swimming. This summer, I was finally old enough to go in the pool without an adult outside! She told me to be careful. I slammed the screen and tiptoed over the deck. Then, I tossed my towel on the white stone and walked slowly to the diving board. Sigh! I took a deep breath and looked down at the water. I adjusted my goggle strap tight around my head. One step… another step… thud! My toe got caught and I fell belly-down on the board. I laid there for a second. My stomach was stinging in pain. It was hard to breathe! I wrapped my arms around myself and walked back inside. Ouch!

Posted March 11, 2019 by clumbra45 in category Uncategorized

2 thoughts on “The dive scrape (student mentor piece)

1. Kristi Lonheim

Yikes! I didn’t see that coming. My body hurts at the jarring impact. Like the physical impact you experienced, it is sudden for the reader as well.

Reply
  2. Elisabeth Ellington

I love the idea of creating different versions of pieces as mentor texts for students. My own tendency is to write something new each time, but that probably isn’t always the most efficient way to teach!

Reply